Where to stay in Speyside, Scotland – Top Picks
Best for whisky lovers
The Mash Tun
Best for luxury
The Craigellachie Hotel
Best budget option
What’s the Speyside Malt Whisky Trail?
- Aberlour is a picturesque town located on the banks of the River Spey. It’s a popular spot for fishing and has several whisky distilleries in the surrounding area. There are a variety of accommodations available, ranging from small B&Bs to luxury hotels.
- Craigellachie is a quaint village situated at the heart of the Speyside region. It’s home to the Craigellachie Bridge, which is a popular tourist attraction. The village has several accommodation options, including traditional B&Bs and boutique hotels.
- Dufftown is a small town that’s often referred to as the “malt whisky capital of the world”. It’s home to several famous whisky distilleries. There are several hotels, B&Bs, and self-catering accommodations in the town. It’s a convenient place to stay for whisky enthusiasts.
- Elgin is a bustling town located on the coast of the Moray Firth. It’s known for its beautiful architecture, including the medieval cathedral and the historic Elgin Museum. There are several hotels and B&Bs in the town, as well as self-catering accommodations.
- Forres is a charming town located on the outskirts of the Cairngorms National Park. It has a rich history, and there are several ancient sites in the surrounding area. This includes the Brodie Castle and the Findhorn Bay Nature Reserve. There are several accommodation options in the town, including hotels, B&Bs, and self-catering accommodations.
- Grantown-on-Spey is a small town located in the Cairngorms National Park. It’s a popular destination for outdoor enthusiasts, with several hiking and cycling trails in the area. There are several hotels, B&Bs, and self-catering accommodations in the town, making it a great base for exploring the national park.
What are the best hotels to stay in Speyside, Scotland?
1. The Mash Tun
Broomfield Sq, Aberlour AB38 9QP
Hotel rating: 9
2. The Craigellachie Hotel
Victoria Street, Craigellachie, AB38 9SR
Hotel rating: 8.3
3. The Dowans Hotel
Aberlour, Aberlour, AB38 9LS
Hotel rating: 9.2
4. Craigellachie Lodge
Edward Avenue, Craigellachie, AB38 9ST, United Kingdom
Hotel rating: 9.6
5. Cardhu Country House
Knockando, Aberlour, AB38 7RY
Hotel rating: 9.7
6. Blervie House
Blervie House Rafford, Forres, IV36 2RU
Hotel rating: 9.2Stars: 5
Which Speyside Distilleries Should We Visit?
Where to stay in Speyside, Scotland FAQ
Speyside is the area that surrounds the River Spey in the north east of Scotland. The Highland region is the largest area in Scotland, that includes nearly all that’s North of Edinburgh and Glasgow.
Speyside produces some of the best whiskies in Scotland, and even the world. They are known for their fruity taste, with apple, pear, honey, vanilla and spice notes popular in the region.
Dufftown is the capital of Speyside.